This project has received funding from the European Union’s Horizon 2020 Research and Innovation Programme under Grant Agreement No 680556.
CHESS SETUP is a H2020 funded project designing a technology solutionaiming to increase the energy efficiency, self-sufficiency and renewables in buildings.
The building sector is one of the most resource consuming sectors as it accounts for 40% of energy consumption and 36% of CO2 emissions in the EU. The European Union has set ambitious targets in order to reduce the GHG emissions and the building sector has to do its part, with new buildings required to be “nearly zero-energy buildings” (NZEB) by 2020. By using energy more efficiently, a reduction on energy bills and reliance on external energy suppliers can be achieved while helping protect the environment.
To address this challenge, CHESS SETUP, a ten-member multidisciplinary consortium, has designed a solution relying on:
- Hybrid solar panels generating heat to be stored and used for domestic hot water and/or heating in addition to electricity that can be used by the building’s systems and appliances.
- A hot water tank to store the thermal energy produced by the hybrid solar panels, especially in summer.
- A heat pump, to provide domestic hot water and/or heating from the hot water tank to the building at high efficiencies.
The system will therefore work on a seasonal mode: the heat produced by the solar hybrid panels mostly in the summer will be stored to heat the building needs when required.
The team has installed the system in three different sites in the United Kingdom and in Spain, sizing the elements according to the buildings’ characteristics such as the solar irradiation, energy demands, and available surface for the installation of solar panels installation and the thermal storage tank. The positive effectsof the system are starting to show.
The installation is being monitored and controlledto manage the system efficiently based on key data such as available heat energy, weather forecast and electricity prices to optimize the energy flows within the system.
CHESS SETUP can allow significant energy savings for the buildings: the energy produced on-site will be consumed on site or reverted to the power grid if necessary. CHESS SETUP could bring key solutions for our future: a self-consumption system that could drive us towards NZEB, energy independence, a higher productivity of the grids and a low-carbon society.
You will find more information on the project’s website: https://www.chess-setup.net/
- AGENCIA DE ECOLOGIA URBANA DE BARCELONA
- LAVOLA 1981 SA
- UNIVERSITY OF ULSTER
- RENE WANSDRONK
- ELECTRIC CORBY COMMUNITY INTEREST COMPANY
- WATTIA INNOVA S.L.
- AJUNTAMIENTO DE SANT CUGAT DEL VALLES
- EUROGRANT GMBH
- VEOLIA SERVEIS CATALUNYA SOCIEDAD ANONIMA UNIPERSONAL
- WANSDRONK BV
- EDENWAY SL
Start date: 17/04/2018 - End date: 16/04/2020