Training courses for installers of small-scale renewable energy systems in buildings
The objective of the IEE Install+RES project was to establish training courses for the qualification of trainers and the certification of installers of renewable energy systems (biomass, solar, PV and heat pumps) in buildings. The target groups were installers (with working experience as plumbers, roofers or electricians) and trainers (as teachers, engineers and professors).
During the Install+RES project 33 training courses for installers of small-scale renewable energy systems in buildings have been implemented in several European countries: Germany, Poland, Italy, Slovenia, Bulgaria and Greece. The courses led to qualify 516 installers of small-scale renewable energy systems in buildings.The Install+RES training courses are based on a well-balanced relationship between theory and practice named "hands-on learning" concept. The training courses mainly take place in demonstration facilities and laboratories, where practical work is performed.
- "Train the trainer" courses have been implemented in English and German language for the modules on small-scale Photovoltaic, Solar Thermal, Heat Pumps and Biomass systems in buildings.
- 78 trainers have been qualified in the field of small-scale renewable energy systems in buildings.
- The training material on Photovoltaic, Solar Thermal, Heat Pumps and Biomass has been developed in German and translated in English, Italian, Slovenian, Polish, Greek and Bulgarian. The training material can be downloaded for free at the Install+RES website at the link below.
- 33 Install+RES training courses have been implemented in Germany, Italy, Slovenia, Poland, Greece and Bulgaria to qualify installers in the field of small-scale Photovoltaic, Solar Thermal, Heat Pumps and Biomass systems in buildings.
- 516 installers have been qualified in the field of small-scale Photovoltaic, Solar Thermal, Heat Pumps and Biomass systems in buildings.
- The training material should be translated by the National trainers attending the "train the trainer" courses in order to be better adapted to the National needs. Besides, the learning outcomes of the training courses in each country should be defined according the European Qualification Framework (EQF) in order to be comparable among the countries.
- According to the feedback collected from the installers who attended the Install+RES training courses, the hours for the practical part of the course should be increased and the hours for the theoretical part decreased. Also, the course structure should be as much flexible as possible in order to be adapted to the needs of the National legislation and of the installers. Usually the installers are employed by companies and they can attend the courses only during the weekends.
- The certification of RES installers should be mandatory to ensure quality in the installations as well as a sustainable market of small-scale RES systems in Europe. The Bulgarian partner (VHSE) registered at the Bulgarian State Agency for Metrological & Technical Surveillance (SAMTS). From 2013, it is mandatory that any PV installation in Bulgaria is installed by a registered certified installer. The Agency controls such registrations, creating an incentive for other installers to get certified.
Project duration: May 2010 to April 2013.