At VITO, their aim is a society where sustainability is the norm. They are working on global projects to promote the transition to sustainability. They create innovative technological solutions and actively share their knowledge with businesses and government bodies.
They accelerate the transition to a sustainable world. They de-risk innovation for businesses and they strengthen the economic and societal fabric of Flanders, with interdisciplinary research and large-scale pilot installations.
- Accelerate the transition to a competitive, clean and secure energy system in Flanders and the world
- Introduce short material cycles to set up ecosystems throughout the world for circular economy
- Radically reduce the consumption of fossil-based feedstocks and energy within the Flemish chemical sector
- Facilitate innovative, preventive and affordable healthcare, underpinned by measuring instruments and data
- Stimulate sustainable use of space and water, with links to health, agriculture and more
- Sustainable chemistry
- Sustainable land use
- Sustainable health
- Sustainable energy
- Sustainable material
Building and districts
Cities and communities play a crucial role in efforts to combat climate change, as they account for no less than 75% of our energy use. VITO/EnergyVille supports the European Commission, regional and local government bodies and businesses in the transition to a low-carbon and sustainable urban infrastructure.
VITO do this by developing new technological insights, tools and evaluation methods, and by supporting new business models.
- Building technology assesment: The energy efficiency rating, the construction elements and the techniques and materials used are all factors determining the total energy consumption and environmental impact of the buildings that surround us. EnergyVille will help you reduce the environmental impact and energy consumption of buildings, building materials, technical systems and renewable energy systems.
- Energy district design: Local communities and cities have a vital role to play in the transition to a low-carbon future. In 2050, half of all existing European buildings will still be in use. Optimising the energy profile of our cities has therefore become a top priority, requiring the right balance to be struck between energy efficiency, renewable energy and flexibility. Whether you are active in the public or the private sector, VITO/EnergyVille helps you make this energy transition. Their technological solutions are already being used in over 55 urban pilot areas across Europe.
- CIRCULAR FLANDERS
- KIC Raw Materials
- Centre Biorizon
- University of Antwerp
- EIT Climate-KIC