Webinar series: Energy Performance of Buildings standards (EN/ISO) supporting the implementation of EPBD
This webinar took place on the 19th March, 12.00 to 13.30.
This webinar series is organized by BUILD UP in cooperation with EPB Center’s experts under the scope of Service Contract ENER/C3/2017-437/SI2-785.185 “Support the dissemination and roll-out of the set of Energy Performance of Buildings standards developed under EC Mandate M/480” (duration September 2018 - September 2021).
Webinar 2 – EPB standards overview: why, how, what!
Following the successful 1st webinar on “Guidance and examples for the EPB standards’ flexibility”, this 2nd webinar provided a detailed overview:
- Why the EPB standards came into being to support the implementation of the Energy Performance of Buildings Directive (Mandates M/343 and M/480) and the relation to ongoing EU policy developments vis-à-vis building performance (e.g. energy, environment, people)
- How by design the EPB standards are meant to facilitate the EU-wide transition to a sustainable built environment
- What online information resources and tailored services are available to all building sector stakeholders for providing guidance to reap all benefits of the EPB standards
The Energy Performance of Buildings Directive (EPBD) aims to promote the improvement of the energy performance of buildings within the European Union. EPBD takes into account outdoor climatic and local conditions, as well as indoor climate requirements and cost-effectiveness.
Hence, there’s a need to define at national (or regional) level:
- A clear and explicit overview of the choices
- Boundary conditions
- Input data
Such national (or regional) choices remain necessary, due to differences in:
- Culture and building tradition
- Policy and legal frameworks
Thus, the EPB standards entered the scene under Mandate M/480 (2011-2016) given to CEN by the European Commission. Mandate M/480 developed the 2nd generation of EPB standards in support of the recast version of the EPBD (2010).
The 2nd generation of EPB standards (readily available today) have been developed under effective central coordination via CEN/TC371. The aim was obtaining and securing consistency of the overall approach and of the technical details. As such, to deliver a common building performance calculation framework incorporating many beneficial features:
- Common rules
- Modular structure
- Holistic approach
- Global outlook
- Products and product standards
Online information resources about the EPB standards are more and more available. These are among the trustworthy sources of information:
- EPB Center website (Be sure to subscribe to the newsletter!)
- User-friendly visualization of the set of EPB standards
- Twitter @EPB_Center
- LinkedIn Group EPB Standards Community (#EPBstandards)
- Build Up portal thematic topic Energy performance calculation procedures and CEN standards
Furthermore, the EPB Center offers tailored services to all building sector stakeholders. Contact EPB Center for learning how:
- You and your organisation can reap all the benefits of the EPB standards;
- This would facilitate the EU-wide transition to a sustainable built environment.
Programme of webinar 2:
- 12h00 - 12h20 – Jaap HOGELING, Chairperson CEN/TC 371, Energy Performance of Buildings project group, European Committee for Standardization (CEN)
- (Why) EPBD and EPB standards keynote
- 12h20 - 12h40 – Dick VAN DIJK, EPB expert, EPB Center
- (How) Key features of the EPB standards delivering on their promise
- 12h40 - 13h00 – Andrei Vladimir LIȚIU, Project Consultant, REHVA
- (What) Trustable information: online information resources and tailored services
- 13h00 - 13h30 – Moderated Q&A.