NATURALnyDOM in Gliwice was built in 2006, using ERS (Energy Recycling System) technology: stratified heat storage, solar collectors, fireplace with a water jacket, wall heating, control system, and construction elements - active “breathing” partition, winter garden.
While the building was inhabited by 5 persons, the energy use for the purpose of heating and domestic hot water preparation was measured over the period of one year. Electric energy use was measured and the volume of fire-wood was converted into kWh. The measured annual energy use was 7700 kWh. Calculations show that in a comparable passive building it would be 7475 kWh.
The very low energy use for heating while maintaining optimal indoor conditions is possible thanks to:
- optimal building form
- intelligent glazing distribution
- very good thermal insulation of all external partitions
- elimination of thermal bridges
- special design of external walls, heated naturally from the outside
- decreased heat loss through ventilation
- solar energy use
- high performance of the fireplace in the winter garden