This report provides an overview of the main outcomes of the discussions that took place from 2011 to 2015 under the Concerted Action (CA) EPBD, on the issue of regular inspection of heating and air‐conditioning (AC) systems and the alternatives to it that are allowed by the Energy Performance of Buildings Directive (EPBD). It has been extended to include technical building systems (TBS) as well.
The subject matter comprises:
- inspection schemes themselves (how they are set up and operated, frequency of inspection, the inspection procedure to be followed, and the reporting of results and recommendations);
- alternative measures that can produce an equivalent impact in terms of saving energy;
- how equivalent impact should be demonstrated and reported;
- electronic monitoring and control systems that can be recognised as a partial substitute for inspection;
- the regulatory requirements for technical building systems in existing buildings.
The objectives of the Concerted Action EPBD (CA EPBD) work on inspections and TBS were:
- to develop a wider understanding of the detailed requirements and options in the EPBD concerning inspection of heating and AC systems. Variations can be introduced according to system type, fuel, power rating, monitoring, and control;
- to consider regulations for existing buildings with newly installed, replaced, or upgraded TBS. Regulations are needed not just for energy performance but also for proper installation, dimensioning, adjustment, and control. Regulations must also encourage intelligent metering;
- to understand feasible alternatives to inspection and their effect on the energy used by heating and AC systems;
- to develop the methodology whereby it can be shown that alternative measures have an equivalent impact to inspection, and examine ways in which equivalence is reported to the EC.
The CA EPBD is co-funded by the Intelligent Energy Europe Programme of the European Union. The content of this report is included in the book “2016 – Implementing the Energy Performance of Buildings Directive (EPBD) Featuring Country Reports”, ISBN 978‐972‐8646‐32‐5, © ADENE 2015, which is available at www.epbd-ca.eu and www.buildup.eu.