Note: document links updated 6 January 2016
This report by Ecofys, elaborated by order of the European Commission, analyses the stakeholders' responses at the public consultation launched by the Commission as part of the evaluation and review of the Energy Performance of Buildings Directive (EPBD). The purpose of this analysis is to gain an in-depth view of the public opinion on the EPBD review.
The public consultation ran from 30 June to 31 October 2015. The respondents cover all Member States of the European Union. Responses from outside the EU have also been submitted.
Some of the key findings of the analysis are the following:
- Generally, the importance of energy efficiency and renovation measures for tackling energy poverty is increasingly acknowledged.
- Many of the respondents state that the EPBD has set a good framework for improving energy performance in buildings and that it has raised awareness on energy consumption in buildings giving it a more prominent role in energy policy and its necessary contribution to 2030 and 2050 energy and climate targets.
- Most respondents state that compliance with the provisions of the EPBD is not adequate and could be significantly improved.
- Related to the question for the main reasons for the insufficient take-up of the financing available for energy efficiency in buildings, barriers mentioned are the complexity of the renovation decision-making process as such, which requires insight and decisions not only of financial nature but also of technical, organisational and legal nature.
- Stakeholders mention a lack of consumer demand, which is also linked to the absence of long term goals.
- Some respondents take position that in order to realise energy efficiency improvements in the building sector and increase the amount of renewable energy an approach needs to be taken that focuses on the reduction of primary energy at system level.
To download the report, please visit the relevant European Commission website: https://ec.europa.eu/energy/sites/ener/files/documents/MJ-02-15-954-EN-N.pdf
For further information, see also: https://ec.europa.eu/energy/en/consultations/public-consultation-evaluation-energy-performance-buildings-directive