This project has received funding from the European Union’s Horizon 2020 research and innovation programme under grant agreement No. 893938
Promoting Energy efficiency & Developing Innovative Approaches in schools
Large-scale energy renovations of school buildings have a high perceived investment risk, while the many actors involved deem the endeavour an even more complex procedure. The importance of energy renovation of buildings has been addressed by National (NEEAP, NECP) and EU (EPBD, Green Deal) policies. PEDIA was conceived for removing legal, administrative, technical, and market barriers, eliminating the existing fragmentation through the achievement of the following objectives:
- 1.Upgrade of 25 schools to the Nearly Zero Energy Building (NZEB) level and improvement of the thermal comfort levels for the users
- 2.Activation of an Innovative Financing Solution for schools’ energy efficiency upgrading
- 3.Establishment of a long-term energy renovation strategy for school buildings
- 4.Increase of energy savings, Renewable Energy Sources penetration, and reduction of CO2 emissions
- 5.Monitoring and continuous improvement of energy efficiency through Energy Management Systems - EMS (ISO 50001)
Thus, PEDIA introduces a procedural framework for schools’ energy upgrade to meet NZEB level, by integrating to the existing renovation practices a selection ranking system, energy audits, Green Public Procurement (GPP), and an Innovative Financing Solution.
The ranking system will assist the Ministry of Education, Culture, Sport and Youth in Cyprus to the selection of school buildings for energy upgrade, based on environmental, energy, socioeconomic criteria. Upon finalization, the conduction of the energy audit will indicate the cost optimal energy interventions, which in turn will provide the technical specifications for the GPP. As a final step, the establishment of an EMS to the school buildings will ensure future energy savings and continuous improvement of energy performance.
Ultimately, the PEDIA project will directly trigger 7.5 M€ investments in energy upgrades of school buildings and will build solid long-term capacity to further renovate the whole school building stock in Cyprus.
- ENERGEIAKO GRAFEIO KYPRION POLITON
- PAIDAGOGIKO INSTITOUTO KYPROU
Start date: 1/09/2020 - End date: 31/08/2025